The buildings which we live in whether they be houses, apartments, or some other type of dwelling, help to protect us from the extremes of nature. However these same buildings that protect us can also affect our environment and our health in numerous ways. As this becomes more apparent, there is a new field of construction gaining momentum that is referred to as green building. Green building is defined as the practice of creating and using more resource efficient types of renovation, operation, demolition, and maintenance. The following resources will help you learn all their is to know about environmentally friendly building and construction.
- EEBA – Website of the Energy and Environmental Building Alliance, provides information and education on sustainable building.
- Building Technologies Program – Information on the US Department of Energy’s BTP program which funds research and technology to reduce energy building energy use.
- Building Green – A list of resources and articles with information on energy efficient building.
- Improving Water Efficiency – A list of steps on improving building water efficiency for homes and businesses.
- Water Efficiency 101 – Tips and information on building a water efficient residency.
- Water Efficiency Design – An article from the Whole Building Design Guide on protecting and conserving water when building.
Environmentally Friendly Building Materials
- Environmentally Friendly Building – A list of Earth friendly building materials and tips for using recycled items for remodeling.
- Using Earth Friendly Materials – Some tips on how to use environmentally friendly materials when building.
- Green Building Materials – An article explaining green building products and how to go about purchasing them.
- Waste Reduction Design – A guide for waste reduction in the design and construction of sustainable office buildings.
- Construction Recycling Strategies – An article providing information on recycling of construction materials and cutting down on waste.
- Construction Waste Recycling – Guidelines and considerations for green building and construction waste reduction and recycling.
Indoor Air Quality
- IAQ Management – Information from the Environmental Protection Agency on indoor air quality management during construction planning.
- Maintaining Indoor Air Quality – Information on maintaining indoor air quality during construction and renovation projects.
- IAG Guide – A guide to designing and constructing buildings with good indoor air quality.
- Sustainability In Construction – A diagram explaining how sustainable development is implemented in the construction industry.
- Sustainable Building Manual – A manual produced in part by the Department of Energy showing how to design, operate, and maintain environmentally friendly buildings.
- Sustainable Living Skills – Some tips and information on the skills needed to build a sustainable and environmentally friendly house or other building.